In 2017 digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin moved from a niche novelty favored by early adopters into the mainstream. As of early January 2018 the total crypto market capitalization surpassed $600 Billion and is showing no signs of slowing down as Wall Street investors, investment banks, and even the SEC acknowledge digital currencies as a viable financial tool.
While everyone loves to brag about how they quit their job because they got into Bitcoin in 2013 or how they’re dialed in in the “next big” coin that will buy them a Tesla or Lamborghini, it’s important to understand the serious risks that come along with an emerging and (mostly) unregulated market.
In this workshop attendees will learn the basics of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other digital currencies and how to invest in them. Attendees will also learn how to evaluate a coin or token, work with the basic investment platforms, and learn how to properly secure their newfound wealth off an exchange in a hardware wallet.
This workshop will run for 1 session and cover the following topics:
- What is a cryptocurrency, how did it all begin, and why are they are so revolutionary?
- Learn the differences between popular coins and tokens such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin, Monero, & more.
- Learn the basics of mining, market capitalizations, circulating supply, hard forks and how they play into pricing a coin or token.
- Learn how to get started with investing on Coinbase and GDAX, two popular exchanges.
- Understand the risks of investing in unregulated markets and learn how to protect yourself from theft, scams, and other hacks.
- Learn how to properly secure your crypto assets in a hardware wallet.
Prereqs and Preparation:
- Please bring a laptop computer to class (Windows PC or MacBook)
- Optional: Please set up and verify a Coinbase and GDAX account
- Optional: If you would like to secure your assets on a hardware wallet you can purchase a Nano Ledger S from Amazon – http://amzn.to/2Co9YEh
- Optional Reading: Crypto Assets: The Innovative Investor’s Guide to Bitcoin and Beyond http://amzn.to/2Cl3Dfg